For skincare merchandise that appear to be the identical power, why are they so totally different?
Dr. Irwin: What’s the distinction between Refissa tretinoin cream USP 0.05% vs Perrigo’s tretinoin cream USP 0.05%? I’ve been utilizing Refissa for years, however now I’ve an issue getting it attributable to a backlog. I’m wondering if I can use Perrigo’s tretinoin cream USP 0.05% as an alternative? Many thanks Amy.
Some days I believe all of us want a level in chemistry to essentially perceive skincare product labels. I like your query as a result of it actually will get again to that subject.
To reply your query, if you happen to actually love Refissa (tretinoin 0.05%), I doubt you’ll love the Perrigo tretinion as a result of the bottom is a lot thinner and formulated extra for greasy pores and skin. Refissa had an virtually ointment-like base, and was nice for dry pores and skin. For these of you who don’t know, tretinion is only a concentrated model of retinol.
There are a variety of tretinoin merchandise available on the market, and so they are available in gels, lotions, and lotions. The traces between these totally different autos are sometimes blurred although. You may need a lotion-like gel or a really thick lotion that works extra like a cream. The identical is true for many different merchandise.
Does it actually matter? Having watched sufferers and myself battle to exchange a favourite now discontinued product, I believe it does. Why? Learn on.
Why does the bottom or automobile of the product make such a distinction:
- If you’d like a product that works for dry pores and skin, search for the highest 5-6 elements to be issues like squalene, pure oils, shea butter, and even petrolatum.
- If you’d like a product that works for oilier pores and skin, then search for merchandise which have extra hyaluronic acid, non irritating alcohols, aloe vera and comparable within the prime 5-6 elements listed.
- The elements almost definitely to trigger pores and skin irritation are preservatives, fragrances, propylene glycol, lanolin and a few alcohols.
- The bottom impacts the bioavailability of the energetic ingredient too. That tretinoin 0.05% could also be considerably stronger, or weaker, relying on what it’s put in; there’s actually no approach to inform that as a client forward of time.
- Pure oils and dry oils are all the craze now, however they’ll clog pores in vulnerable people regardless of the advertising and marketing.
- Lotions are perhaps the toughest to judge with out really shopping for them as a result of some are extra gel-like. Some are gentle and soak up simply, some mid-weight, and a few are very dense and extra occlusive.
- Do samples assist? They may also help you inform whether or not you’re allergic to it, if the perfume will be just right for you, and if the consistency is best for you. Apart from that, they aren’t very useful. It takes 30-90 days to see if a product actually makes a distinction within the high quality of your pores and skin. All of us have drawers of them although, and I’d vote for a clear out and dump session twice a yr.
Hope this helps!
Dr. Brandith Irwin, MD
Founding father of SkinTour & MadisonMD Skincare
Comply with my pores and skin ideas and travels on Instagram!